Grain-free and stuffing just don’t seem like two words that even make sense in the same sentence, let alone the same recipe! But, let me tell you, this recipe is the bees knees and hits all the amazingness that is stuffing. I mean stuffing IS the reason I show up for Thanksgiving dinner. It is what keeps me munching on leftovers long after the plates have been cleared and the last crumb of pie licked clean.
This year, my family is working through some health and gut-healing so grains, sugar and dairy are not on our table. Yikes, I know. But, we are still finding ways to indulge. After much research (thank you internet) and experimenting, I found a delicious satisfying replacement for traditional bread stuffing. This makes a beautiful addition to your holiday table or any time of the year paired with a roasted chicken. It even stands on its own with a green salad. Enjoy!!
Grain-Free (Paleo) Stuffing
- Heavy bottomed skillet
- Baking dish (optional)
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 3 cups diced onion
- 2 cups diced celery
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups diced carrot
- 1-2 cups mushrooms cremini or portobello
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 tsp poultry seasoning or italian blend or use 1/4 cup fresh herbs like sage, thyme and rosemary (I like to use both dried and fresh)
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper or to taste
- 2 cups almond flour
- 3 eggs or use 3 tbsp of ground flax to 9 tbsp of water; whisk until mixture thickens
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add ghee to heavy bottomed skillet and saute celery, onion, carrot, garlic and mushroom together until soft.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in almond flour, egg or flax mixture, herbs and seasoning. Mix well.
- Place mixture in baking dish and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until dish is browned on top and cooked through.
- Garnish with parsley.