I don’t know about you guys, but the colds and other mysterious viruses are hitting hard around here. How do you stay ahead of it? How do you get over it? The struggle is really, especially with kids in school. About a year ago, we jumped on the green smoothie train. We had been spinning up smoothies for years, never had they been so green!! But, loaded with nutrients, we find they help boost our immune systems and are an amazing energy boost to start the day. We just plain feel better! Our kids love them, too!
We love how starting our day this way makes us feel. (And, I’m not a nutritionist, just someone who loves living clean and healthy and nerd out about researching all of this!)We’ve made about a million green smoothie recipes, and it comes down to this one as our favorite: Super Green Detox (as we say in our house, the greener the better)! It’s bright and tart, but the mango and coconut take the edge off without added too much sweetness. Give it a try…glow from the inside out, keep your healthy habits on track this holiday season and hopefully, keep the germs away.
Super Green Detox Smoothie
- High speed blender
- 1/2 cup Frozen mango Fresh works, too. Just add ice if you like it more on the frozen side
- 3-4 cups greens (kale, chard, spring lettuce mix) Any greens you have on hand will work!
- 1 whole Lime, juiced. Or, peel and use the whole lime!
- 1 whole orange (medium-sized), juiced. Or, peel and use whole orange!
- 1 tbsp Coconut oil
- 1/4 cup Fresh cilantro Parsley works, too. Or you can omit herbs.
- 1 cup Ice (optional depending on how icy you like it)
- Water, nutmilk or coconut water. We prefer the water or coconut water, as nutmilk makes the green less bright in color and flavor.
- Add frozen ingredients to blender first.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Add liquid. I fill with water just until it covers about an inch from the top of your ingredients. Add more as necessary.
- Place lid on blender. Start blending on low and move through speeds to high until you reach desired consistency.
- Serve in 2 large mason jars or your favorite glass and sip away!