Creamy Sausage and Greens Soup with Gnocchi
Simple to prepare hearty delicious gluten, grain and dairy free soup
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 tbsp extra olive oil or ghee
- 1 small diced onion
- 1 lb italian turkey sausage Ground turkey works well, too. Just add a couple teaspoons of italian seasoning to taste.
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning blend
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 bunches kale, chard or spinach chopped or torn Any greens will work. Frozen is great, too! If using fresh kale or chard, remove from stem before chopping
- 2 cups coconut milk (1 can)
- 2 tsp dijon mustard Or 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 12-15 oz gnocci or pasta
Heat oil or ghee in a large stockpot and saute onion until translucent. Then add sausage and cook until browned.
Once meat is browned, add garlic and saute a few minutes (you will start to smell it). Add stock, remaining seasonings and bring to boil. Once boiling, reduce to simmer.
Add greens and stir in coconut milk, mustard and vinegar. Bring back to a simmer.
In the last few minutes of cooking, add gnocchi or pasta. Simmer until cooked through (the fresh pastas will only take a minute or so; dried longer). If planning leftovers, some prefer prepare gnocchi or pasta separately and add to each bowl so it doesn't break down too much when storing).
Season with salt and pepper to taste!